Tuesday, August 16, 2011

mixed metals brazed ring





I tried something new with this one. I cut pieces of copper, brass and steel onto a steel sheet. Then I brazed everything together with brass. After that I filed and grinded the surface flat. Then I made a ring of this metal combination. It is the outside ring. The inside ring was soldered on. It is brass to avoid rusting of the steel (which is the bottom layer of the outside ring) on the finger.
The outside ring shows a shimmering of all the colors of the metals that were used.
I also tried to do a rudimentary form of Damascene inlay. The two copper bars left side from the Spinel were set into undercut space on the outside ring. Then the copper wire was hammered into the undercut space. No solder holds the copper in the space.

Damascene inlay:
http://www.philamuseum.org/booklets/7_43_80_1.html



Ring redone:
I removed the epoxy with the red enamel in it:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

stones and other materials