Thursday, August 18, 2011

brazed ring with epoxy inlay

 welding steel-brazed brass, cooper, steel parts-Amber4mm, crushed lapis lazuli epoxy inlay, ring size 7.25
 I used steel as bottom plate for brazing the other metals on, because the ring has to be sturdy. The epoxy inlay with the crushed lapis lazuli would crack if the ring gets deformed.
 I don`t know up to now how durable such epoxy inlays are. I might make another ring and carry it around myself at work for a while.
If the ring is only used for non work activities I guess there will be no problem, as epoxy is used in jewelry making as one of the strongest adhesives.


 in this picture the "marbling" of the composite metal shows. I put copper parts, brass parts and steel parts on a steel plate. Then I brazed everything together (I heated up everything very high with a MAP gas torch, put a salt as flux on it and melted a part of a brass rod onto the whole thing, until everything was covered). Later I had to file it down to make it even.
Problem is, that it is not completely possible to avoid small holes between the metals. These come from the vaporizing flux, which produces gas, that can get captured in the melted metal. Later you have small holes in the piece of jewelry. These have to be grinded out.
Maybe heating it up higher and longer will help avoiding the holes.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

stones and other materials